St. George’s Caye is eight miles east of Belize City. The village on the island is also called St. George’s Caye.
It was settled in 1650, and was the largest settlement in what was then British Honduras in the 17th century and 18th century; however, it was eventually eclipsed by the growth of Belize City. St.George’s Caye was Belize’s first capital, in the 1700s. From September 3rd. to 10th. 1798, British settlers fought and defeated a small Spanish fleet sent to drive them from the area; this battle is marked as a national holiday in Belize each September 10th. as the Battle of St. George’s Caye.